For hundreds of years Newtonian science has been used to explain the physical world, where man ‘was thought to be in control’, manipulating and changing the environment, yet somehow remaining unaffected by his actions. We are only beginning to see the arrogance and folly of this belief. With the recent development of quantum physics we are starting to appreciate that something more intangible is at work - metaphysics. Metaphysics is the science that explores the significance and impact of human intention and thought. It is Einstein’s work in particular that has helped us to understand that energy is able to be manipulated by human intention and expectation. In other words, our flow of energy and the consciousness inherent within it, affects all other energy systems as it dissipates into the world.
For instance, take the weather, we are happy when it is sunny, down when it is dull. It is so easy to understand that the physical world affects us. What might surprise and amaze us is that the opposite is also true. Our state of mind really does affect the patterns and behaviour of the physical world.
The spiritual science of metaphysics helps us to understand that for every law we have deciphered in the physical universe there exists a spiritual equivalent. The failure to acknowledge and understand these spiritual laws and apply them to our lives is one of the reasons we have lost self-mastery. Until we understand that metaphysics is about the intimate relationship between thoughts, feelings and actions, we will continue to look outside the self for solutions to our problems and blame others rather than taking responsibility for our own empowerment.
A useful example that can help us to understand how the physical principles translate into metaphysical principles and apply to our lives is to look at the passage of the seasons. We can see that nature delivers its changes within a certain time-frame which we call a season. Each season takes approximately 3 months to deliver its effect, its change. Spring becomes summer, summer becomes autumn, autumn becomes winter and after 12 months, the cycle repeats. What we can learn from this is that the process of change is not something that delivers its dividends overnight. The changes taking place as one season transmutates and becomes another, are largely unseen and subtle, but eventually the end product is very clear and tangible. So, just like the seasons, a period of consistent endeavour guarantees a marked change about every 3 months, with subtle and gradual change happening all the time. This is why patience, perseverance and practice are needed to achieve our goals. So, starting from today, make consistent endeavour and learn to sit patiently, allowing the fruits to come in their own time.
Metaphysics is a living and breathing system. It is not a concept simply for analytical and theoretical discussion. It needs to be understood and applied. How often have you cried out, “why me?” Doesn’t it seem sometimes that despite your best endeavours, the force of events carry you to an unwanted destination? Why is this? The answer is simple. We have not stopped to consider the connection between those physical laws and how they may apply to our thoughts, emotions and relationships. We have only applied them to our material existence. Those very laws and principles are pivotal to what we think, say and do. So unless we pay proper attention to the conversion of the physical into the metaphysical, we will continue to find ourselves slaves to a whole range of thought processes, feelings and addictive behaviours that deny us ever being ourselves. It is time to reclaim your life. It is time for change.
The subject of metaphysics is a vast one, however, its essence is simple. If we take as our mantra,‘take a closer look at the world around us’, then nature will provide most of the answers we seek. Then the so-called mysteries of life begin to unveil themselves. The biggest mystery of all is how we have lost the humility to listen and be quiet, and in the stillness become the observers of life. It is within this understated, reflective practice that the subject of metaphysics can really be understood and applied. Metaphysics is the spiritual science that helps us to decode human experience and human interaction. All life forms are energy and all energy is subject to very clear, concise mathematical principles. We have managed to decipher many of these principles and processes over the last 500 years and as a result of our understanding and application of these laws we have been able to construct this incredible technological world we see before us. Unfortunately, because we have only applied these principles to the physical world we have become seduced and enslaved by materialism, and have failed to appreciate the subtler application of this science. These laws impact equally upon our energy, (called self) nature and animals and the reason for our enslavement is the failure to understand that life is not a one-way process of manipulation and control.
It is time to review our arrogant, short-sighted stance which has only served to embroil us in a world of dysfunction, hostility and ignorance. The way to start doing this is simple. Sit and observe the course of nature. Nature is an incredible mirror for us. It teaches us so much about ourselves if we would simply become students of our environments rather than its manipulators and polluters. As you watch the course of nature, ask yourself, are you moving with it or against it? When we work in opposition to our natural environment, we also work in opposition to ourselves. Our interference with the planet compromises the natural order and natural laws and has created an environment for ourselves which no longer truly supports and sustains human life. Remember, metaphysics is largely a question of applying the laws of the physical world i.e. entropy, thermodynamics, gravity etc., to the way that we think, feel and interact in the world. Below are four physical laws that have been translated into everyday principles so that you can appreciate their significance to you. Honour these principles and watch what happens - it’s amazing how much we can influence our own path.
i) Never exceed your capacity. Respect your limits. This means eat well, sleep well, think well. Respect yourself. Then your energies will be replenished, enabling you to sustain your endeavours. Remember you can’t give what you haven’t got.
ii) Treat others as you would want to be treated yourself. The law of cause and effect is simple, what you give out you will eventually receive. So only give that which you would want to
iii) Treat all energy with respect. Use all energy wisely and considerately. This means use your thoughts, words and your actions in ways that empower you and empower others.
iv) Don’t expect from others that which you are not prepared to do yourself. Otherwise you create a spiral of disappointment, frustration, distress and even depression for yourself.
There are many more of these principles and laws which life paints on the canvas of our minds many times a day. Practice being still and observe life’s many portraits, landscapes and tapestries and in return the meaning of every scene and the way forward will become clear with much less effort. Be a student of life.
Metaphysics is really about living in harmony with the laws of nature. It is about realizing we are not living in a vacuum. What we think, say, do, how we are in the world will eventually find it's way back to us. Listed below are a further eight points that can be added to those in Metaphysics 2. These will take you even further down that path of divine-living. A life founded on integrity, that is mindful, kind and serves others will always serve you in ways you didn't even expect.....
1. It is our intention that determines the true value of our actions. In fact our intentions are the primary forces that shape the various outcomes that manifest in our lives. In other words, the outward appearance of our actions means very little, it is what's 'beating at the heart of our actions' that really counts. So pay attention to your intention.
2. Our every thought, word and action emits a vibration, the latest science (best illustrated in quantum physics) clearly shows that we are influencing and shaping our environments mostly 'below the surface'. It is at the atomic and sub-atomic levels where we have greatest impact. This micro impact in turn reflects at the macro level. The work of Dr. Masaru Emoto has clearly demonstrated our vibrational impact on water. His work has shown unequivocally that water registers our emotions and thoughts, which impacts on all matter and therefore on us! We are not immune to our mindlessness, in fact it's our carelessness that holds us back. It's time that we took responsibility for our thoughts, words and actions and understand the far-reaching nature of our energy. It's time to tread more carefully across the planet (see Mindfulness & Personal Responsibility) to ensure you 'add value' in whatever you do. Make a pledge not to be a negative contributor to our world. As you can see, we are already suffering the consequences of negative equity!
3. A life of gratitude and true appreciation will always bear good fruit; we simply need to learn the art of waiting. Make patient acceptance and quiet perseverance your companions and watch life surprise you every day. Can a seed bear flowers and fruits the day after it is planted? Can an acorn become an oak tree overnight? If we practice giving thanks for our lives, especially those things we take for granted, then the magic and the beauty of life will serve us abundantly. To set a date of expectation whilst sitting impatiently awaiting the outcome takes us down the wrong path, it helps to maintain our frustration and keeps us away from the very thing we seek. Practice sitting quietly, joyously and patiently. Let go of expectation and simply know in your heart the divine fruits of the seed of 'right action' are always on their way. No force is necessary.
4. 'The greatest fool is the one who doesn't learn from her mistakes'. Your history tells the story of the mistakes you've made and those same mistakes await you in the future if you have not learnt from them. If we look into the pool of time the gentle ripples of what has gone before whispers the way forward. It's important to understand that life doesn't allow us to graduate to the next level of experience and learning until the gifts of the 'here and now' have been claimed and understood. Only then are we equipped for what awaits us in the future. So when you're stuck in your life ask yourself 'what has this situation come to teach me?' Whatever stands in front of you is always your teacher – the real question is are you listening?
5. It is imperative if you are to move forward in your life that all the things currently blocking your path are removed. Health is a life that flows freely. So many of us struggle to create newness because we are still standing in the stagnation of the past.
We cannot move into a brighter, better future whilst we stand in the mud of what has been! A brighter future needs the 'space' in which to germinate and eventually blossom. So de- clutter your life. Understand that whatever you no longer need is occupying valuable space in your life and is blocking your path and therefore the flow of good energy. Find the courage to let go of the futile collection of 'stuff' you have gathered around you, otherwise you will only strengthen the dam that's holding you back.
6. All energy has purpose, value and meaning and as we are energy we too have purpose, value and meaning. If we lose our focus our reason for being, we die. We become part of the community best described as the 'vertical dead', those who walk around as if they are alive when in fact they are absent from their lives, lifeless. Meaning and purpose provide the spark which ignites the mind and energises the spirit. This union offers life-long learning and unique experiences out of which real appreciation and value of oneself can be found. So steer a course that is dear to your heart. Love what you do and it will love and nourish you many times over!
7. You cannot attract happiness and well-being into your life if you don't believe you're deserving of it. There is more going on in this universe than meets the eye. Think of the sound you can't hear because their frequencies are too high, think of the things you can't see on the spectrum of light i.e. x-rays, ultra-violet rays, microwaves etc. Think of the miracle of the human cell; breathing digesting reproducing, repairing....wow! The miracles we take for granted happening around us every day are staggering. Probably the greatest amongst these is our power to co-create. Without the scientific aids enabling us to see the hidden reality taking place around and within us, these metaphysical events would remain outside our experience. Co-creation is your part in the unfolding of your life and destiny. Life is not just happening to you, your contribution is the primary ingredient (see Personal Responsibility). So it's time to make a contribution that makes your heart sing! Remove the incongruence wherever you can. What we 'give out' will come back as a vibrational match The universe is a dance of vibrations (see The Story of Light 1 & 2). Everything is resonating and where there is harmony between the multitudes of frequencies there is attraction. In other words, you cannot create happiness whilst standing in a place of sorrow, you cannot create success whilst you're drowning in doubt and self pity. You cannot attain the opposite to what you're thinking, feeling and doing. It's against the natural order. Cause and effect is the heartbeat of the universe. So remember you are the major shareholder in your life. Claim your place on the Board, now before it is too late!
8. 'Every moment is an opportunity to make yourself anew' is an eternal truth that the science of epigenetics (we are more than our genes) is comprehensively endorsing. Stop living a recycled past! Grab the now and make the lessons of yesterday your guide, not your dictator. You are not yesterday, you're what you make of yesterday. True health depends on movement. All energy works optimally where there is movement/circulation. So allow your experiences to be the fuel for your choices but walk with courage and faith so you can make the right choices for you. Learn to live with forgiveness for yourself and others. Count your blessings and find appreciation in all things. Living this way keeps you on the divine edge of consciousness, allowing you to keep growing into your true purpose and potential. Underline this truth if it's not moving it's dying. This is why you must not allow yourself to get stuck in anger, fear, doubt, hate, low self esteem etc. otherwise you cannot grow to be your very best. Invent yourself anew today. If you are reading this then it's not too late.
What does mindfulness mean? It means to be completely connected to the self and each moment, to be totally present in the now. Fully focusing one’s mind on whatever one is doing or experiencing. Mindfulness is the practice and the art of being so present within the wonderful perimeter of the self that only the present moment matters. One is neither being consumed by the past nor distracted by the future. Mindfulness is a state of being which understands that the past has gone and cannot be changed and the future is determined by what one does today. If we let the moment called ‘now’ pass us by, then the sands of time literally slip through our fingers and with it the opportunity to positively influence our destiny. To be present, connected to oneself and each moment is to truly be alive. Mindfulness gives us access to inner peace, contentment, insight, balance and joy.
If you were reading this handout in a truly mindful way there would be total absorption in each word, sentence and every phrase. There would be more than an intellectual appreciation of the words drafted on the page, there would be an emotional, even spiritual experience as you unravelled and embraced the full force of what is really being presented to you. In the main, we are not fully aware of our own thoughts and where they are taking us. We have become ‘driven’, driven erratically towards a destination, often unsure where the destination is. Most of us are now so consumed by the pace of modern living we have forgotten where we are even going and why! Confusion and chaos reign. Before you can be clear about where you are actually going and whether it’s worthwhile going there, you need to develop the art of watching yourself, connecting with yourself and taking back control (see Still Time 1 & 2 and Understanding Your Blind Spot). By taking the first steps towards mindfulness you will see how the drama of your life significantly and in many instances drastically changes.
You will find when you start practising single-minded awareness (focusing fully on whatever you are doing or experiencing) that your mind will often rebel against the channelling of your energy in this way. This will unquestionably interfere with your efforts to focus. Single-minded awareness takes regular practice and patience so don’t expect to overturn mental chaos without making concerted efforts. Having said that, to practice little and often will give enormous rewards quite quickly (within a few weeks). So, begin today by fully immersing yourself in this moment, then practice this for the rest of the day. However mundane your task there is a joy to be experienced when you are totally present in the moment. It is a joy missed by most of us because we are so busy thinking of something else as the moment slips through our fingers. Cup your hands together and capture the sands of time with the following simple practice. Give your full attention, your focus, to the moment and what you are doing. If you are listening to someone, really listen, really appreciate what it is that they are saying. Try and step into their world. This will give you a better understanding of the meaning behind their words and help forge a true connection. If you are nurturing and caring for anyone, do it with a real sense of the value and importance of such an act. There is always value and meaning in life but sometimes it is hidden. If you are doing that which is perceived to be mundane and ordinary, something probably taken for granted and undervalued even by yourself, look into the eyes of the moment and see the real significance of what you are doing. The more you practice being present the more you will see the meaning and significance of what is happening around you. Mindfulness makes you a true observer of life, a true traveller through time and means that you drive your life forward, rather than being driven by the force of circumstances.
To some extent most of us are repeatedly harassed, even totally dominated by an addictive pattern, unwanted habit or self-limiting tendency. Despite our best intentions we seem to lack what it takes to break free. Why?.... Generally this is not about a lack of desire or intent. It is more about a lack of will-power and although the word is commonly configured by the use of a hyphen (-) we are indeed talking about two separate things, will and power. Will, in this context, is about our desire to achieve something under our own steam, to make a vision or a dream real - to make it happen. Most of us don’t actually lack the will. If anything we can be plagued by the desire for positive change and personal transformation. What we really lack is power. So where can we acquire that power from?
A lot of the power we seek is literally locked up in the cycle of waste. Waste comes in many forms; poor diet, lack of exercise, excessive stress, unfulfilling relationships etc., all of which produce countless toxins. This toxicity is then deposited and distributed in our bodies, doing untold damage. In addition there is the energy we waste in our pursuit of status, kudos, image etc., distracting us from what is really important. The biggest source of waste is to be found in the mind. This includes lack of resolution around past issues which continue to feed our negative self concepts, doubt, guilt, shame and low self-esteem. This in turn becomes a sewer polluting our interactions and relationships which then become tainted with dishonesty, disillusion and dysfunction. It is by freeing ourselves from these waste products that we are able to find the way back to ourselves and be in a position where we can discover and fulfil our purpose. Endotoxicity is the process where we reabsorb our own waste. Generally this applies to waste products not properly ejected from the body and reabsorbed from the colon back into the bloodstream. This re- absorption of waste is disastrous and alongside poor diet choices, dehydration, pollution and exceeding our personal limits, is amongst the most damaging phenomenon impacting on human life. This process of endotoxicity equally applies to the mind. Over the course of our lives we accrue negative life experiences and if these are not adequately addressed they become mental waste products which the mind continually recycles by either revisiting the actual event or its consequences. This re-absorption of mental waste denies us the power we so desperately seek as it damages and distorts our perception and attitude.
If we are to summon the awesome force of willpower into our lives then we need to take personal responsibility. There is no effective and lasting change that can be brought to bear on our lives if we don’t take responsibility for our part in where we are today. That isn’t to deny that there have been other causes and consequences that have contributed to our positions in life, because of course there have. This acceptance is more about realising I can only be free from that which psychologically disables me when I take responsibility for change. It is at this point that negative patterns and self-limiting addictions begin to dissolve and the relationship with all waste is slowly but surely broken. Power then accrues as a result of the transformation from negative thinking to positive thinking. Therefore, to free yourself from mental endotoxicity start taking responsibility for the position you find yourself in now and then you will gradually feel the power emerging from within to bring about positive change. You will then have the fuel to achieve your personal ambitions and goals. Remember, whilst you remain busy in blaming others for your demise, you maintain a position of being unable to change because your will lacks the power you so desperately crave.
|Click the links below to see more Relevant Research|